Facebook chat not working

tylerd

25 Nov, 2011 04:49 AM

Hello I installed Trillian today because I was tired of Facebook barely working on AIM. However, I found out I have the same problem here too. Basically someone will chat me/I chat them and we exchange a few messages. Then I stop receiving the messages and I go on the Facebook website to find out they have still been messaging me. I can also Message them on Trillian, but I won't receive messages. Is there a way to fix this or is it just Facebook screwing up?

1. 2 Posted by mizpersona on 25 Nov, 2011 07:27 AM

I have the same problem. I hope there is a way to fix this. I am using the free version for Windows.

2. 3 Posted by kanylbullen on 25 Nov, 2011 09:29 AM

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Glenn on 25 Nov, 2011 02:34 PM

There is a pretty similar (and lengthy) conversation going on here:
    http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/685-facebook-chat-problems

We're investigating this a bit further and have found that in some cases (e.g. dropped messages), it may be related to server issues on the Facebook side of things. We've reported this issue to Facebook, and they've let us know that the problems are related to server upgrades and migration on their side. We're hopeful that the problem will resolve on it's own. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Trillian!
    Glenn Seibert
    Cerulean Studios

4. 5 Posted by tylerd on 25 Nov, 2011 07:35 PM

That's what I thought, hope Facebook can fix their crap soon.

5. Support Staff 6 Posted by Scott Werndorfer on 27 Nov, 2011 07:45 PM

In the meantime, you can disconnect/reconnect Facebook when you notice this bug and it should fix itself temporarily. We'll keep you posted as we hear from Facebook.

6. 7 Posted by Brad on 28 Nov, 2011 10:22 AM

I, however, cannot seem to see any of my contacts online or send them messages through Trillian at all. I've given Trilian permission on Facebook but it's like it's not fully connected... this has been happening for a few months now. Hopefully that issue will be resolved too!

7. 8 Posted by Jorge Correia on 28 Nov, 2011 10:35 AM

My problem is worse. Since this morning i can't login in Astra, MSN, Google and Facebook accounts. The only working is Spyke. Any problems in Trillian server side or can i assume that is a problem with my netwok acess???

8. Support Staff 9 Posted by Don Petty on 28 Nov, 2011 12:54 PM

Hi Jorge,

There haven't been any overall service issues with Trillian so it would be a safe bet that it has something to do with your network access. You might want to check your firewall settings and make sure that Trillian isn't being blocked.

-Don

9. 10 Posted by Shaun on 29 Nov, 2011 10:21 PM

Recently I suddenly stopped being able to talk to facebook friends via Trillion. - I Tried updating to newest version on Trillion but no joy.

I get the following in my status window whenever I try to connect to facebook via Trillion (Windows)

[22:18] Creating connection "xxxx xxxxx". [22:18] Existing session detected, validating... [22:18] Setting up permissions... [22:18] You have successfully connected to Facebook. [22:18] Logging into Facebook Chat... [22:18] You have successfully connected to Facebook Chat. [22:18] *** Facebook Chat Error: 1357004 (Please try closing and re-opening your browser window.)

10. Support Staff 11 Posted by Scott Werndorfer on 01 Dec, 2011 02:59 PM

Shaun, the Facebook support in Trillian 5.1 is vastly improved over 4.x. Looks like your log is from the 4.0 series. There is an ongoing issue with their servers that's preventing some IMs from being delivered but they've told us they are working on it and hope to have it fixed soon.

11. 12 Posted by Carlos on 27 Jan, 2012 02:44 AM

Well still i am not able to chat with trillian with facebook. I am able to write message but i dont recieve ANY message from my contacts. When i open facebook i see the messages in the inbox but they dont show in the chat window.

It looks that something is really broken. If you need logs please let me know how to get them so we can pinpoint what is the problem with the app.

12. 13 Posted by Rich on 05 Feb, 2012 05:27 AM

Mine just keeps trying to connect, Facebook window pops up and disappears. Keeps doing that over and over till I disable it

13. 14 Posted by Jorge Correia on 06 Feb, 2012 12:26 AM

I have a different problem now... I'm able to connect and chat with FB but the same message from the other party keeps appearing over and over again in Trillian's message alert window.
    To stop it, I have to access directly FB and delete (archive) the message.

14. 15 Posted by Carlos on 08 Feb, 2012 02:21 AM

Yeah Jorge. I have actually 2 problems:

1) The messages that anyone send to me are NOT RECEIVED AT ALL in the chat window. My messages are delivered but NONE of the responses are received back
    2) Sometimes i get this random responses in a different window not tied to any contact but just with a number like" [email blocked]" and a random answer to probably one of my conversations.

Definitely something is really broken. I will log my next session and paste.

15. 16 Posted by jsmit9031 on 09 Feb, 2012 02:15 PM

Same here. 5.1 build 18.
    Windows 7
    On Facebook I can chat but no chats are recieved by contacts.

16. 17 Posted by psycros on 05 Apr, 2012 05:34 AM

Ver: Trillian 5.1 b18 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Something seems buggy in FB login. I try it, and one of two things happens: (1) the login window pops up, I input p/w, it sits for a while saying "reconnecting" at bottom of FB social window, and then it just gives up, or 2) The same thing happens but FB icon lights up at the top of contact window as if its logged in and the bar at bottom of FB social window says "loading". I can't tell if its really logged in or not.

Note that I can login perfectly on facebook.com (and I log out before trying it on Trillian).

17. 18 Posted by psycros on 05 Apr, 2012 05:40 AM

I should've added that I have no problems with MSN, AIM or Yahoo and I just installed Trillian.

18. 19 Posted by Filip on 16 Apr, 2012 01:53 PM

Dobri deň potreboval bi som zisťiť gdo mi dal SPAM a či bi sa to dalo odstraniť Ďakujem nick na Facebooku mam - Anarchya Punk

19. 20 Posted by John on 26 Jun, 2012 08:02 PM

I installed Trillian this morning because Digsby can't seem to stay logged onto Facebook for more than five minutes and it worked well, but I shut down for lunch, came back and my contacts are gone. I can't find in the settings where I'd log into either facebook or google talk, but both are gone, even when I exit Trillian and restart it. I know there are contacts online for both, so I don't know what's happening. Thanks!

20. 21 Posted by Walter on 18 Sep, 2012 04:04 PM

I am chatting with people on FB but it only works one way...I cannot receive their messages, but I can send to them.

21. Support Staff 22 Posted by Don Petty on 18 Sep, 2012 05:42 PM

Are the contacts that you are trying to chat with added as buddies on your buddy list and do you see them as "online"? Is this only with a particular buddy or is it a problem with ALL of your Facebook contacts?

-Don

22. 23 Posted by Walter Holm on 19 Sep, 2012 02:03 AM

I think they have themselves set as offline, but I will confirm that. But in the past, even someone that was offline, I would get their updates. This has happened with two different contacts, I will run more test cases and get back to you.

23. 24 Posted by Walter Holm on 27 Sep, 2012 09:46 PM

[Description: Machine generated alternative text: Darlene]

[Description: Machine generated alternative text: Info History Darlene appears to be offline, Messages X you send will most likely not be delivered when they sign in. thanks you too! Darlene ‘J More Today You there? E]

I am able to chat with them on FB but not through Trillian...only one way. I can chat with them, their responses don't come through but they used to.

[Description: Machine generated alternative text: 3 minutes ago at 5:18 PM You there? q You there? yes.]

If I type on FB, why I type on FB chat shows in Trillian. If I type in Trillian, that sends to them. But when they respond, that only shows in FB chat, not Trillian at all.

I have this problem with many Facebook contacts, only few work well.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac