where does Trillian store its chat history in MAC

Law Yu

28 Jan, 2012 10:58 AM

Hi there,

could anyone help me look for my chat history in MAC OSX Lion (10.7)? i want to copy off the whole file but can't seem to find it. it's easier to find it in windows 7... but for the life of me, i can't find it in OS X..... hope any of you guys can help....

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Rachel Blackman on 31 Jan, 2012 07:44 PM

~/Library/Application Support/Trillian/[astra account]/logs is the directory containing all logs, where [astra account] is your Trillian Astra login. Hope that helps!

Note the initial '~' which means 'my home directory' on Mac OS X; this is in the Library directory under your home directory, NOT the one under the top-level of the hard drive. If you are on Lion, the Library directory has been rendered invisible/hidden by the system upgrade, but you can still manually go to it in Terminal or by using Command-Shift-G in Finder to enter a path directly.

2. 3 Posted by Law Yu on 01 Feb, 2012 02:52 AM

Hi Rachel,

thanks for the reply. if i log back in to my Trillian for windows..... any chat history that occurred when i used my Macbook Air, would it be downloaded from the cloud to my windows machine? so that i won't need to go looking for the chat history in my Mac... i'll just have it downloaded to my windows machine directly from the cloud ...... do you think that's possible? again my thanks for the reply.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rachel Blackman on 01 Feb, 2012 02:55 AM

If you are a Pro user, just make sure the 'Backup chat logs to the cloud' feature is enabled, as in https://skitch.com/sparks/g7176/skitched-20120131-185435 -- that'll do precisely what you're asking, making sure all your logs are automatically in sync between the different machines.

Hope that helps!

4. 5 Posted by lawrence on 01 Feb, 2012 03:09 AM

Groovy!!! Thanks!

5. 6 Posted by tonon on 01 Feb, 2012 02:35 PM

I'm using Lion and I can't find my chat history in my mac, even following all the instructions, there's no folder on my application support, I've tried to find manually on Terminal or Go To Folder, and I haven't found nothing, please someone help me.

6. Support Staff 7 Posted by Rachel Blackman on 01 Feb, 2012 05:48 PM

What do you need the files for, Tonon? If you just want to view them, there's a history viewer built in to Trillian by default. If you want to back up them up, however, you'll just want the 'logs' directory of your given account.

To find your Trillian account's directory, go into the Library directory under your home directory.

On Lion, Mac OS X makes the Library directory invisible by default, as seen here: https://skitch.com/sparks/g727g/skitched-20120201-094202

But you can hit Command-Shift-G to bring up a 'go to this directory' option in Finder: https://skitch.com/sparks/g726b/skitched-20120201-094351

Again, make certain the path you enter begins with ~ -- that tilde character means 'my home directory,' so ~/Library moves you into the now-invisible Library directory under your home directory, NOT the Library directory at the root of the hard drive.

Once you hit 'Go' and zip down into that Trillian directory, you'll find that there is a subdirectory for each Astra account you use locally. Under a given directory, you'll find a 'logs' subdirectory containing all the data files used to generate the history windows.

https://skitch.com/sparks/g729e/skitched-20120201-094708

Hope that helps.

7. 8 Posted by tonon on 01 Feb, 2012 05:57 PM

Thank you, Rachel.
    I just want to delete , because it was stored on my work computer.

8. Rachel Blackman closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2012 10:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac