Contacts don't show up in the list

ytg895

30 Apr, 2013 06:55 AM

Hi.

I have seen simmilar looking problems in the discussions, but I think mine is different.
Since last Saturday some contacts don't show up in my contact list. (The most annoying about it is that I'm expecting an important talk especially since that day, and I can never be sure if my contacts can actually see me online or it's just me who can't see them.) Anyway...
I see the problem on both Android and the web. (I'll try Windows too as soon as I can, but most of the time I'm on Linux.) The problematic accounts are mostly Google Talk accounts and my Facebook account. MSN and ICQ works fine. Usually at least one of my three Google Talk accounts work fine. I think a different one every time, but I'm not sure. If I disconnect the accounts in question and reconnect to them my contacts appear on the list again. I have to do that on all of my devices independently though.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Don Petty on 30 Apr, 2013 08:35 PM

Facebook has been doing some server work and it's causing problems but Here is something new to try for that connection....

Open the "Preferences->Accounts" section and then click your Facebook account. If it's connected then Disconnect it and then click the "Settings" button. Change the Hostname to:

beta.chat.facebook.com

For the Google connection you need to make sure that you're actually online with the accounts that don't show contacts. Click the Google connection icon at the top of the buddy list and then click "Show Status Window" on the accounts that are having trouble and let me know what it says there.

-Don

2. 2 Posted by ytg895 on 01 May, 2013 05:07 AM

(I don't think that Facebook and Google Talk not working the same time is just a coincidence, but OK... I'll accept that the Facebook problem is Facebook's fault, let's focus on Google Talk)

I'll go step by step.

• I opened Trillian on my phone.
    • I also open Gmail on my PC so I can see who am I missing. Right now there are 4 people on-line on one of my accounts that I can't see. Right now the other two accounts work fine, and Facebook too.
    • As I'm on the phone and not on the PC and I don't have both a clickable Google connection icon and a status window, I'll just try to see my accounts listed in the settings. But I've just turned on diagnostic logging and I'll send the logs to you later. (Even that it is against my principles.)
    • The account says I'm pretty much on-line with that account.
    • I disconnect that account.
    • I reconnect to that account.
    • Aaand, my contacts showed up.

Please also note that this happens in the web client too.

3. 3 Posted by ytg895 on 01 May, 2013 03:33 PM

And I sent the diagnostic logs as I promised

4. 4 Posted by ytg895 on 17 Sep, 2013 06:07 AM

I reported this in May. Now that you updated the Android app, I gave it a try again. It is still an issue. Do you ever plan to fix it?!

5. 5 Posted by stevengerrard on 22 Nov, 2013 09:35 AM

Your contacts are automatically synced when you first turn on your phone and sign into a Google Account, so make sure to add your Google Account to your Android device. Any existing contacts from that account are synced with your device.

After that, all your contacts automatically stay in sync, whether you make changes on your phone, from another device, or from any Web browser. The contact information on your device is also available in Gmail, Google Talk, Messenger, Phone, and other apps where it's useful. As you add contacts from different sources, they are synced automatically across all the places you need them.

Since contacts are automatically synced, if you delete a Google contact from your device, it will also be deleted from Google Contacts, which will also remove it from other places, such as Google Chat.

So if the contacts lost from your Android phone, the contacts in Gmail Contacts may have been lost also. Try Myjad Android Contacts Recovery, Maybe you have a chance to get them back.

6. 6 Posted by ytg895 on 22 Nov, 2013 05:10 PM

It's not that my contacts were completely, physically deleted. They were just offline when they actually weren't. I could use Hangouts without any problems.
    (And I'm not sure if this is still an issue, I think there was a Trillian for Android release meanwhile and I removed Trillian from my phone meanwhile. And I'm not willing to reinstall it just to see if it is still an issue and remove it after again.)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac